Purging all (and only) observed hands from a DB?

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Purging all (and only) observed hands from a DB?

Postby Fuzzydunflop » Wed May 05, 2010 9:19 pm

Do I simply click 'Only observed hands' and nothing else and click purge?
Fuzzydunflop
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Purging all (and only) observed hands from a DB?

Postby WhiteRider » Thu May 06, 2010 2:23 am

Yes, but make sure your name is shown. See the Tutorial: Purging Sessions for more info.
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: Purging all (and only) observed hands from a DB?

Postby Fuzzydunflop » Thu May 06, 2010 3:23 am

Everytime I start a purge, it goes to the 'Not Responding' windows thing and no Purge Status Bar shows up at all.

Is this normal? Is it doing the purge? Or should I be seeing a status window?
Fuzzydunflop
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Purging all (and only) observed hands from a database?

Postby WhiteRider » Thu May 06, 2010 4:07 am

You should see a status window, but it may not appear for a while.
If you have a large database or are purging a lot of hands it will take some time so let it run for a while.
Enable logging and restart PT3 and run the purge overnight or something and if you still don't see any progress then attach the PokerTracker3.log file to a Support ticket so that we can investigate.
Tutorial: Submitting a Bug Report
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: Purging all (and only) observed hands from a DB?

Postby rowhousepd » Wed May 12, 2010 3:11 pm

I didn't used to have problems w/ purges freezing or going at a ridiculously slow pace, but I do now -- right after the last build. Is anyone else complaining about database maintenance issues since the update? I've purged observed hands before roughly the same sized db's, but it's definitely a whole other league of slowness nowadays. Lemme know. Thanks.
rowhousepd
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:00 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Purging all (and only) observed hands from a DB?

Postby kraada » Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm

I haven't heard of any other complaints of purging slowdowns myself.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Purging all (and only) observed hands from a DB?

Postby rowhousepd » Wed May 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Tell me if this seems weird:

I manually imported all of my observed into the wrong database other day. The db in question had only about ~62k real hands (played by me) into which I mistakenly imported ~1.1 million. (Yikes!) I ran housekeeping, selected purge, clicked observed hands, it started running it, and I went to bed. 8 hours later it was still running and estimated that there was 9000+ hours to go. I canceled the purge, ran housekeeping again, and to my surprise saw that the db had a total of 1.0 million remaining. It wiped a mere ~100k over the course of 8 hrs.

I’m running PT3 v3.06.2, postgres 8.4, my computer is a perfectly capable, smooth-running machine (2.4 Ghz, 8 GB ram, Windows 7, 64-bit) that's never had a real problem like this w/ db maintenance before. Does this sound way off ... 8 hrs to wipe 100k hands?
rowhousepd
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:00 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Purging all (and only) observed hands from a DB?

Postby vicnice » Wed May 12, 2010 3:37 pm

rowhousepd wrote:Tell me if this seems weird:

I manually imported all of my observed into the wrong database other day. The db in question had only about ~62k real hands (played by me) into which I mistakenly imported ~1.1 million. (Yikes!) I ran housekeeping, selected purge, clicked observed hands, it started running it, and I went to bed. 8 hours later it was still running and estimated that there was 9000+ hours to go. I canceled the purge, ran housekeeping again, and to my surprise saw that the db had a total of 1.0 million remaining. It wiped a mere ~100k over the course of 8 hrs.

I’m running PT3 v3.06.2, postgres 8.4, my computer is a perfectly capable, smooth-running machine (2.4 Ghz, 8 GB ram, Windows 7, 64-bit) that's never had a real problem like this w/ db maintenance before. Does this sound way off ... 8 hrs to wipe 100k hands?



Unfortunately purging is ridiculously slow (kraada and whiterider would know more specific numbers, but yeah, it is very slow on large databases). I think it is because when it is purging it has to delete things from a lot of locations in order to make sure the data remains consistent.

It might just be faster for you to create a new database, and import those 62k hands into the new one and just delete the old one.
vicnice
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Purging all (and only) observed hands from a DB?

Postby kraada » Wed May 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Reimporting 62k hands into a new database will be far, far faster than purging a million hands from any database.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Purging all (and only) observed hands from a DB?

Postby rowhousepd » Wed May 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Yup, that's what I'm doing now and it's going ok. I just hope I never really have to purge something down the road.
rowhousepd
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:00 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Next

Return to General [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests