Computer Upgrade

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Computer Upgrade

Postby Wepla » Wed May 19, 2010 10:32 am

Hi,

One of my hard disks died and I plan to buy a new one. I want to have a fast disk as I understand disk the the bottleneck for PT3 performance ? I used to have two disks on RAID0 and it worked realy well. Should I stay with this solution or could you tip on anything even better ? I am considering :
- Having windows on one disk, and database on another SSD disk (is SSD effective with databases when there are many frequent reads and writes to the disk ?)
- Having windows on one disk, and two disks as RAID0 for dababase only ?

Any tips on the disk model itself ?

Regards,
Wepla
Wepla
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:22 am

Re: Computer Upgrade

Postby kraada » Wed May 19, 2010 12:46 pm

RAID0 should work fine for our purposes. The problem with SSDs are that they're expensive and PT3 databases get large. Ballpark it at 1M hands = 10G for full ring (and 7G for 6-max). You won't need to ever cluster an SSD though so you do save on housekeeping time there, but you obviously want to make sure your SSD is big enough for whatever database you're putting onto it.

If the cost isn't an option, the SSD will end up being faster (I'd also put the OS on it and have a separate storage drive for anything else that's large that we need storage for, then you get a speed boost all around too), but RAID0 should work quite well also.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY


Return to General [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests