New OS & Installs of PT2 & 3, PostGreSQL issues

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

New OS & Installs of PT2 & 3, PostGreSQL issues

Postby JimmyM69 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:06 pm

Please forgive if misposted to an incorrect Forum, but, since my issues span PT2, PT3 and PostGreSQL, I thought cross-posting best avoided.

On my existing Windows OS, installed on C: (Label OpSwapApps), I have PT2.17.04g in C:\Program Files\Games\Poker Tracker.

PT3.6.0.2 is installed on C:\Program Files\Games\PT3.

PostGreSQL v1.8.4.99 is on a separate partition: D:\Poker Stuff\PostGreSQL, and PT2 points to database "POSTGRESQLSTARS,ETC,1STCONVERSIONMAY4,2009", whilst PT3 looks to database "PT3 DB" in this folder.

I am now setting up a clean OS install, on a separate HDD, seen in my existing OS as M: (Label LXpv22&Apps), and I swap SATA data cables between these two separate physical HDs, depending on which OS I want to boot. (Please do not ask me about BIOSes or Boot Managers as this is a painful, and un-germane element :-(.)

I plan to install clean downloads of each of PT2 & 3, to similarly-named folders on the LXpv22&Apps HD, and will run both OSs in parallel until I am satisfied as to the look, stability and speed of the LXpv22&Apps OS, at which time I will wipe and redeploy the capacity now occupied by the OpSwapApps OS.

I seek some advice, please:
1. Registration:
Since these new installs will be seen by both PT2 & 3 as clean installs to a new PC, I assume I will need a new reg code for PT2, but that I can use my existing PT3 reg code on the LXpv22&Apps OS. Is this correct, please?

After I wipe the OpSwapApps partition, I will then have only 1 instance of each of PT2 & 3 on 1 PC. Do I notify you, so as to preserve my ability to put either on another PC or HD?

2. PostGreSQL
Since PostGreSQL is, and will remain, on a separate partition, and I have no plans to change this structure, I assume that I will not have to reinstall PostGreSQL to the D:\Poker Stuff\PostGreSQL folder, and that I need merely copy shortcuts from the OpSwapApps OS to the new LXpv22&Apps OS. Is this correct, please?

3. Database Management
After installing each of PT2 & 3, I simply use File, Maintain Database names in PT2 and "Database Management" in PT3 to connect to the existing databases, and I'm back to business as usual. Is this correct, please?

4. Other advice
If there be anything I may have missed, or if you have other advice to offer, please let me know, and TIA for all and any help you can provide.
Jimmy
JimmyM69
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:22 am

Re: New OS & Installs of PT2 & 3, PostGreSQL issues

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:38 am

1. Correct. You can just use the same PT3 code. For PT2, when you have installed it please create a Support ticket and tell us your new Product ID.
You do not need to notify us when you're no longer using your old OS. The best thing to do is to uninstall PT before wiping it, but it shouldn't cause any problems if you don't.

2. PostgreSQL needs to be installed in the active OS so I don't think that just copying shortcuts will work. I haven't done this kind of thing myself though, so it might work. Certainly you can have your databases on the shared drive. There are some useful links in the "How To" section of the Database / PostgreSQL FAQ but if you can't work things out then please post back - kraada will be back from his vacation in a couple of days and he should be able to help you.

3. Correct.
In PT3 use Database > Database Management > New and click 'Browse to existing database'.
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: New OS & Installs of PT2 & 3, PostGreSQL issues

Postby JimmyM69 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks, all noted; if I encounter problems, I will post in the relevant Forum,
Jimmy
JimmyM69
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:22 am


Return to General [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests